A Back To School Poem For Teachers

It's about that time for me...the night before back to school.  The entire past week I have been crossing things off and adding things to what feels like my never-ending to do list.  I realized yesterday that the reason it feels never-ending is because from the moment we, teachers, get our class lists, our job is never done. We are constantly thinking about the next lessons, our students who quickly become "our kids", and the huge responsibility that we have to them.  It's not wonder the night before the first day of school leaves us in a cold sweat!

In order to calm my nerves and turn them into something fun, I felt inspired to write a silly little poem for teachers returning to school.


I have seen so many adorable versions of 'Twas The Night Before School for students and parents but never for teachers.  So, in an act to take my mind off of my to-do list and the sleepless night that is bound to happen, I penned 'Twas The Night Before School A Poem For Teachers.  I hope it hits home for you and gives you a smile like it has for me!

‘Twas The Night Before School
A Poem for Teachers

Twas the night before school starts
and all through the house
the teacher was stirring
over her computer mouse.
All the names had been written
on the folders with care
But did she forget one?
Oh good, it’s over there!
By eight, the lunch was packed
and her school bag was ready…
But she felt so anxious
her hands wouldn’t steady.
New curriculum, new computers
new teachers too.
New directors, new students
her nervousness grew.
Her husband just giggled when he
heard of her plight
He told her, “Relax! It
won’t be such a fright.”
 “Let me look this over,”
again she had said.
Hoping her students would all be in bed.
She kept thinking about those
20 new faces.
Would their new seats all
be in the right spaces?
And so it begins, she thought.
A teacher's job is never done.
A new school year was starting,
she couldn’t wait for all the fun!


And a printable version if you're interested =)



For those of you out there that are returning to school tomorrow, I wish you a restful night and nothing but a smooth, enjoyable, and speedy first day back! We've got this!

9 comments:

  1. Jayme - That poem is super cute!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing and I have you have an AWESOME first day tomorrow!!!

    ~Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather! I hope your school year is off to a great start!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Jayme! Good luck tomorrow! I'll be wrapping up my fourth week already and I am still feeling this craziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you're relaxing this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Love this poem! Wishing you a smooth, successful day tomorrow...I'm sure you've got everything covered! :)
    One Lucky Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica! The first week was a success but by oh by I forgot how tired I would be! I hope you're off to a great start!

      Delete
  4. I love it!!!! You will have an awesome first day!!! Good luck! :)

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you like the poem. I hope your school year is off to a great start!

      Delete
  5. Love the poem! You will have a great first day, I can't wait to hear all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete